Director of Claims and Risk Control (Risk Control Manager)
The person filling this role functions like the Director of Claims/Risk Control for a smaller specialty insurance carrier. Manages Claims and Loss Control efforts for 3 major Safehold Special Risk programs in our Ski Resort and Recreation, Sports and Entertainment (Rinks, Large Venues) and Motorsport Programs. Supervises a mix of 11 employees responsible to investigate and settle claims and deliver Loss Control services to our clients across the U.S. as part of best-in-class insurance programs aimed at these industries.
Claims: Manages staff and oversees the design and implementation of service plans. Monitors claim performance statistics to assure customer retention, program profitability and business development. Conducts case reviews and serves as technical expert to resolve issues. Participates in the handling of the largest and/or most complex claims, Including those in litigation. Supports new business development opportunities and customer retention/expansion. Provides opinions on coverage and contracts. Supervises 600 plus claim files, a percentage of which will require litigation. Partners with our carrier and their attorneys to manage litigation strategy. A background in sports related claims will prove to be an asset in this aspect of the work. Directs two claim reviews with the carrier annually.
Loss Control and Risk Control: Responsible for managing a group of Risk Control Specialists and Consultants. Establishes individual goals and evaluates results. May perform comprehensive research and evaluations of complex customer operations. Makes recommendations for alterations and corrections to prevent resulting loss of assets. Will provide leadership and guidance to less experienced staff.
Ensures that all lift inspections and operational surveys are completed according to plan. Works with USI and independent Ski lift inspectors. Directs annual lift inspectors meeting. Oversees operational surveys for the Ice-Skating Rinks and Large Venues.
Out of town or overnight travel up to 25% of the time.
* Management experience including managing team members and monitoring claim performance statistics and results
* Ability to develop and execute business vision, strategies and goals
* Ability to handle claims for the largest or most complex accounts
* Experience with complex claims litigation
* Background in sports and recreation related claims is a plus
* Experience identifying and evaluations exposures and potential risks within the insured's operating structure
* Experience with advanced research and complex evaluations of client operations, claims analysis and loss trends
* Effective organizational, multi-tasking and prioritizing skills
* Advanced Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) skills
* Ability to navigate multiple computers systems, applications and utilize search tools to find information
* Ability to create spreadsheets, graphics, charts, diagrams and other illustrations for presentations
* Advanced skiing ability is a plus
Associated topics: actuarial, actuarial assistant, actuarial consultant, actuarial director, assistant actuary, associate actuary, cost, investment actuary, retirement actuary, statistics